FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:03 am
kiltedflyer

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Re: getting a better Citi offer than the one you got

@NVGuy36

FWIW: I got the 30k for $500 spend Citi HH Signature Visa at the tail end of March, completing the spend in April and receiving the 30k bonus.

Then when I saw the 40k for $1000 spend offer in the middle of April, I called Citi and asked the CSR if I could be bumped to the new offer I'd just seen. I even offered to spend the extra $500. She put me on hold while she went to ask her supervisor, and when she came back she told me "no, we can't upgrade the bonus offer on your current card." However, before I could even get the first words of arguement out, the CSR said "but you can just go ahead and apply for the new offer." I then asked "are you sure that getting the bonus points for the first offer doesn't automatically preclude me from getting points for the new offer?" The CSR replied that "receiving the 30k offer does not disqualify me from the 40k offer." Long story short: I hung up, completed the 40k app, was approved instantly, did the spend, and have reveived my 40k bonus.

My presumption based on this experience is that since the points are awarded for spending, not as welcome bonuses or first purchase bonuses, Citi will allow one to get multiple cards in the same line without penalty.

So, IMO if you've recently gotten a Citi HH card: call and ask about an offer upgrade and if refused, ask for confirmation that you would qualify for the new (50k) offer if approved and spend met. If so, do the online app and get your new card. Done. Disclaimer: [as always] YMMV.

Cheers

p.s. I might just have to call again myself!

संसार पथिक

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 10, 2011 at 7:21 am