FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - hk-guangzhou airport
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:49 pm
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by catharsis
<snip> - but the tickets would be on different itin's since my CDG-PVG and CAN-AKL tickets are already purchased and non-refundable, so I'm not certain if that would be allowed .
Talk to CZ, and see if a you can link a separate HKG-CAN CZ flight with the CAN-AKL flight you already have. Even if you can't, they should still be able to tag the bags to AKL and auto-transfer the luggage in CAN for onward. My gut feel is there is little risk of significant delay or cancellation except in the event of something like typhoon. Assuming you go ahead and get double-entry visas anyway to cover yourselves, you could always have Plan A be the connecting flight and in the event of a major problem that day, allow enough time to invoke Plan B which is ground transportation. One thing you might look into, since you say you have a lot of luggage, is a private car transfer from HK hotel directly to Guangzhou airport. While not cheap, it's probably still cheaper than (2) all-in plane tickets HKG-CAN. The one thing I wouldn't be keen to do with lots of luggage is schlepping it all over various forms of public transport. Remember that at the Chinese border crossing incoming (again), you could have Customs issues if carting a lot of luggage through the land crossing. At least expect the possibility of inquisitive officers. Another reason the plane connection option is preferred.