FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - hk-guangzhou airport
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:00 am
catharsis

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
Catharsis, as I told you on your other itinerary thread, spend the money, book in advance, and fly that short hop from HKG to CAN in order to get to your CAN-AKL flight. It is much more sane and organized to accomplish all the formalities and luggage check in HKG, then wash your hands of it until AKL. And it will also give you a few extra hours in HK that would otherwise be spent dealing with ground transportation and border crossings. Take the train....and you'll be so-o-o-r-r-r-y and wishing you'd spent the extra coin on the CZ 634 short flight.
I think the flight may be the best option, and thanks for the suggestion - I was just trying to get more info on the various alternatives and when I saw a specific thread on that very topic I added my comment/query about the Bus option

If I can check bags through etc. in HKG that would be ideal and really change the value proposition for me - but the tickets would be on different itin's since my CDG-PVG and CAN-AKL tickets are already purchased and non-refundable, so I'm not certain if that would be allowed .

That would also take away my biggest single concern about taking the flight - i.e. what happens if it is delayed/cancelled? - do I end up listening to the "you had a point-to-point itinerary HKG-CAN and we have no obligation to you in respect of your missing your flight to AKL " (which is the spiel one would get if a similar thing happened on many airlines in Europe). If I would basically be in CZ's hands in the event of any issues then I could relax even if the flight was delayed/cancelled, knowing that they would still get us to AKL somehow
(actually it's well worth investigating that option, thanks, must call CZ)

I'm leaning towards the flight ... but isn't FT all about people seeking and sharing information?