FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:22 am
percipio

Westin Chosun Seoul, Sheraton Incheon, Westin Chosun Busan

I had the fortune of stopping by Korea in the last few weeks and stayed at three of the Starwood properties there: Westin Chosun Seoul, Sheraton Incheon and the Westin Chosun Busan. I thought I'd share some comments.

Frankly, the Westin Chosun Seoul met or exceeded my every expectation with the staff being almost too courteous even for Korean standards. The breakfast buffet at the Aria at the lower level was beyond impressive for a hotel restaurant and made the stay most enjoyable. I strongly suggest Aria over the Executive lounge for breakfast, but it is rather expensive if not included with the room. Sushi Cho next to the lounge was also quite good for a sushi restaurant outside of Japan. Several locals told me that the Chosun and Shilla are the two finest hotels in Seoul, and I can't say I disagree.

The Sheraton Incheon was a very pleasant surprise. This was my first Sheraton stay outside of the US and was expecting the worst, but I think this property is on par with a category 4 if it weren't for the bed. Dining options are also limited, but that's to be expected for an airport hotel. I've been told that Sheraton properties in Asia are actually quite prestigious unlike those in the US.

The Westin Chosun Busan was a mixed experience. The location was fantastic, and some of the staff were very courteous. However, I found the service unacceptable when it came to addressing a problem. The hot water had cut off in the middle of a shower, and it took an hour to get the issue resolved despite several calls to the front desk. Also, the hotel is in dire need of renovation and, I feel, does not meet my expectations for a Westin.

I expect to stay at the W Walkerhill on my next trip and am already curious how that will go.