FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saturday Award-Availability US - HKG Aversion?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:29 am
jamienbaker

Originally Posted by PanHam
Hi, Folks,

I am looking to book a one-way award ticket in F from SFO/LAX/YVR to HKG, on a Saturday in July using AA miles. Thus far, I've not been able to find award availability on any of the Saturday morning flights (like, the realllllly early morning flights). I have, usually, been able to find availability on Friday mornings (which would require a day-off work), and Sunday mornings (which would cut an already whirlwind trip).

I performed a search (and read the FAQ sticky), and in some older-threads, it does seem like Saturday availability on Cathay is a bit spotty, but could not truly find anything conclusive.

My question: are Saturdays indeed difficult for which to find awards? And, in general, for the experts, does availability on CX become markedly better at a certain time before departure, say, two weeks or one week, where a Saturday morning flight might usually appear?

Thanks for all of your help, folks.
Saturday is the peak departure day for business travelers going to Asia. You arrive Sunday, then hit the ground running Monday morning. You'll face similar booking challenges on any airline, any route. JL to NRT, KE to ICN, the list goes on and on.