FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saturday Award-Availability US - HKG Aversion?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:17 am
dvo1029

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by PanHam
Hi, Folks,

I am looking to book a one-way award ticket in F from SFO/LAX/YVR to HKG, on a Saturday in July using AA miles. Thus far, I've not been able to find award availability on any of the Saturday morning flights (like, the realllllly early morning flights). I have, usually, been able to find availability on Friday mornings (which would require a day-off work), and Sunday mornings (which would cut an already whirlwind trip).

I performed a search (and read the FAQ sticky), and in some older-threads, it does seem like Saturday availability on Cathay is a bit spotty, but could not truly find anything conclusive.

My question: are Saturdays indeed difficult for which to find awards? And, in general, for the experts, does availability on CX become markedly better at a certain time before departure, say, two weeks or one week, where a Saturday morning flight might usually appear?

Thanks for all of your help, folks.
I often book F awards from JFK-HKG and I have noticed that award availability on Saturdays is usually very difficult. If you book far enough in advance, about 6 months, you can usually find what you are looking for. Otherwise, you must continually check because CX sometimes opens up award seats for no apparent reason and they could be gone within hours or a day. Also, as others have mentioned, CX oftentimes, but not always, opens up award seats close to the departure day, within 1 week and many times within a few days. So there is no way to guarantee you will get what you are looking for but this is a way to increase your odds.