FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:21 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'm booking one of these now. Looks like DL is now collecting the surcharge itself at ticket issuance, roughly $400 in taxes and surcharges for LAX-(TPE)-KUL-vv., on top of the 120,000 miles for the Business Class seat.
For the record, I just completed this trip. I was not asked for any additional collection at checkin in LAX or on the return leg.

I'll also note that the seat pitch in MH J is very good. It felt like about 4 inches more pitch than similar seats on KE or AF, at least in my seat in row 2 on the 777. I could easily scoot in front of the pax next to me when she was fully reclined in sleep without having to climb over her at all.

The food on MH was decent but not great, although the coffee made in a real French press was excellent. The in-flight service on MH94/95 gets a noticeable downgrade on the KUL-TPE sector as compared to the transpacs-- that's just lame and cheap of MH.

KUL-BKK-vv was 737 service with basically Delta domestic First quality seats in Business Class, although that should improve once MH's new 737-800's get rolled out on that route.

Food on Korean Air is definitely better than on MH. Seats and a/c too are better to major destinations intra-Asia. If you can avoid the blackout dates on KE, I'd much rather take a KE award than an MH award (thus saving ~$400 in surcharges), unless my actual destination is Malaysia, as it was on this trip.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Jun 2, 2011 at 8:26 am