FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car rental horror stories
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:06 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Knowing how I drive rented cars, I wouldn't buy one. But I think it must depend somewhat on the vehicle type. Compact Hyundais (or similar) seem virtually destroyed by renters by 25,000 or 30,000 miles... those small cars with small engines are thrashed to within an inch of their lives. And I wouldn't touch sporty cars or luxury cars that were former rentals. But SUVs and vanilla Malibus, Impalas, etc. might be less prone to customer abuse in their rental lives.
+1..

I've become more responsible over the years.. in a rental and my own vehicle.

Originally Posted by thelark
Not so much a horror story as a near nightmare. When I was in my early twenties, my then girlfriend, now wife, were on our first major trip together in Hawaii. For the second half of our trip, we were in Kauai for a week and needed a rental car. I was careful to try and make sure that I rented from a company that did not require the renter to be over age 25; however, upon reaching the check-in counter, all of my planning was for naught. I was facing a week of being stuck.

It took all my powers of persuasion to convince the clerk to just hit the wrong button when entering my year of birth into the system
Did you tip the counter agent?