FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]
Old May 28, 2011, 9:28 am
kymbakitty

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
I'm thrilled...

Originally Posted by DillMan
I wouldn't really term Cuzco as "aka Machu Picchu". It's just the closest airport.

Glad to hear Marriott will finally have a competing luxury hotel there, though. We've gone every few years and never get tired. I'm conflicted though. We've always stayed at Hotel Monasterio (an Orient Express hotel) and don't know if we could change now. Plus, easily getting seats on the Hiram Bingham train is a big deal, especially when you compare the service level to even the best of the regular Peru Rail options.

I for one am thrilled with the notion of having a Marriott here!

We tried to make this trip work this March but ended up going to Carnival in Rio de Janeiro (not a mistake...and unbelievable experience x 10!) and then taking a cruise ship out of Rio. The JW Marriott in Rio was really nice, but MP is still hovering in that bucket list so to see a Marriott property coming to this region is very exciting for me!

We've been torn because hubby doesn't want to do one night there, one night over here, one night there, which is pretty much what people do when they visit MP. No one seems to stay a week ANYWHERE and I do understand it, but we've never been into hotel hopping. Staying for a week in one area and getting to another area (bus/plane/train/ferry) and staying for a 2nd week has been a good way for us to travel. We get to see so much more and every single day is not jam packed from the moment we get up until the minute we go to bed. Doesn't work for everyone (way to long for most travelers--or so it seems), but it works for us. And, because we are gone for at least two weeks, we don't travel that light (backpack style).

Having a Marriott here would pretty much allow us to stay a week at Cuzco (home base for MP anyway) and then fly over to Lima for a week at the JW Marriott there. We want to stay ONE night at the Santuary and get up early and do a hike. He agreed to one night hotel hopping just because I really wanted to experience the Santuary.

I don't understand the reference to "Plus, easily get seats on the Hiram Bingham train is a big deal..." We too plan on going on the HB, but are you saying you can't take the HB if you are at the JW?

Sure hope this stays on schedule to open in 2012!

Thanks!

Dawn