FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So why can't BA cook?
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2011, 11:41 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Simple enough question... I have only been 'with BA' for 3 years now but I have never been impressed with the food either in the air or on the ground. Although I like the F breakfast and the bangers and mash in the Flounge.

I can only compare them to CX (much better), JL (much better), AA (much better), MH (much better), QF (lounge: much better. air: better) and KL/AF (better and sometimes the same but lounges worse, much worse).

So, has food on BA always been bad? Is this a British thing? How come?
Darling, I hate to say this but I think that they think that the British will eat any old thing -'twill do as my Irish Grandmother would have said. As long as there's plenty of stodge they'll eat it. They are paying less and less for the catering and this is the result. In all the years that I have been flying I cannot remember the food being so mediocre and as for the second meal - don't even go there. I am embarrassed. by what they give us to give you. However, given how BA seems joined to Gate Gourmet (sic) at the hip and the clown who is the Executive Chef was so thick that he did not even know that altitude changes taste - then what can one expect.

What is so frustrating is that we pick up better out of station than in our home base. I have to add the AA's food is not as good when catered out of London as opposed to what they uplift in the USA. What I do not have is a basis of comparison with similar carriers and reading here - I am amazed when I read that others are not much cop either.

All I will say is that I flew to TXL on BD last week and the Upgrade Fairy waved her wand. We sat in a luxurious seat (I think that this was an A320 that is used to the Middle East) which was a proper Business Class seat (worthy of F in the US). We were given a proper meal tray with a salad, a hot course that was delicious, and a desert. I came home with BA in CE. We got a salad that looked as though it had been thrown on the plate. That was it. BA gave Champagne, BD gave drinkable wine and Gin with cheap and nasty mixers. BD won hands down.

Please do not think that it gives me any pleasure to report that about the airline that I fly for.