FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]
Old May 20, 2011, 9:09 am
Schultzois

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Another realistic post about this decision.

Lets face it...the customers who make BA money aren't the ones who fly Easyjet. They are the ones who fly direct or connect on to BA long haul flights at LHR. They will not be impacted on by this decision.

I can understand the stushie this announcement has caused to members on this forum but it'll all be forgotten about in a few weeks.
I've never flown EasyJet, and fall into your second category (connections to long-haul) although Open Doors came in as a valuable benefit for me several times - mostly in US airports on routes that were served neither by BA, nor oneworld (but still were a BA destination - usually to which I had arrived the prior week on a BA flight).

Now there really is no added incentive for me to stick with BA/oneworld enough to keep Gold - on the contrary, there's incentive for me to diversify my flying and keep status on BA's competition alliances - which given all the matching that's gone on lately, would seem exactly the thing to do now.

From a benefits standpoint, I already have Silver benefits assured through September 2013 (unless they abolish soft landings next ), so I really have about two years to see if Platinum on AF or Senator on LH is a viable program for someone who's not based in the UK anyway, and usually flies South America/North America/Europe itineraries with an occasional Asia, South Pacific, or hopefully soon Africa thrown in.