FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CHA-BNA-CHA
Thread: CHA-BNA-CHA
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2000, 1:41 pm
silverpie
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
CHA-BNA-CHA

Was planning to get to Nashville on my own for this trip. But in the middle of a leisurely breakfast, a call from work. A project has just gone into crisis, and I'm needed. This nearly does me out of the trip altogether, as the boss has another meeting to deal with, while the partner reviewing our work keeps raising questions that he should have caught the last time he reviewed it.... Fortunately, he is also going, so we go up in his car (and somehow dodge all the construction to get there on time). I am promptly drafted as the backup team scorekeeper for the Division II (private-school) state wrestling tournament.

Finally check in at my hotel, the Vanderbilt Plaza (which I got on priceline for $60 a night--rack is 289, and their usual weekend prices start at 119). This place is seriously high-end--not something I would normally choose if I were paying a regular price. Phone charges are 75c; toll-free is free unless to use a long-distance provider. Get a king non-smoking.

Wake up the next morning to a blinding headache. THe combination of the tail end of a cold and being limited to concession-stand food the previous night... (and no, not alcohol, just not enough food). Somehow manage to reach the 24-hour Wendy's on 25th Avenue, four blocks from my hotel... which is no longer 24-hour. Then reach McDonald's two more blocks down, and Kwik Sak another block, for breakfast. (After I'm done eating, finally notice that the Kwik Sak sells Krispy Kremes grr.)

The wrestling was pretty good, with my old school winning five weight classes but still coming second. I had never seen that happen in any tournament.... this time at least we didn't have an attempted murder like the one after the two 152# finalists' previous match in the state duals. Also discover to my chagrin that White Mountain Creamery closes at 4pm--illogical for right next to a major university campus.

Go back to sleep the next morning after the wake-up call, but get back up in time to make my flight home.

BNA-CHA (GLI1123)
Bit of an unusual airline, this--our flight makes three stops, and has a time of 2 hours 50 minutes for the run. Given their extremely low-altitude flight plans, the crew consists of a pilot (who doubles as gate agent) and a baggage loader. Meal service consists of a concession at the second stop--we have five minutes to get off, buy the food, and re-embark. Luckily, the cashiers are very efficient. Thanks to their extreme low altitude, we see some beautiful micro-waterfalls on the side of Monteagle. Arrive ten minutes late, exactly as we departed. The things I pur up with for a $17.50 one-way fare...