FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011, 7:21 pm
serfty
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have been a top level QFF for ~12 of the last 17 years. Other than the beginning when had QP for ~19 months (while being "old" Blue/Silver) and was 2nd Tier SG for 4 years.

I have seen many alterations to the program over that time. During that period, being WP (or "Old" Gold) has always had significant additional benefits over SG (or "Old" Silver) and certainly worth striving for (if one was regularly travelling).

This year's (so far) two major changes really devalue being WP in relation to SG.

PO will be a new tier with "special" (to be determined) benefits - it's really not a new level; it's just out on the open, publicised and specifically attainable. This points to WP not really having been top level within Qantas for several years - it has indeed been obvious there were unpublished criteria for additional benefits.

So WP is no longer the Eldorado of QF Status!

OTTOMH, Some of the current defined benefits WP have over SG are:
  1. Oneworld First Class lounge access.
  2. Ability to pre-allocate from a greater range of seating on a QF flight.
  3. 33% greater QFF status bonus earn on QF/JQ/AA/BA flights.
  4. Amongst the first group of PAX being considered for points reward upgrade on international QF Flights on QF metal.

In relation to each point:
  1. As against Business lounge/QP, I would expect this to continue for the foreseeable future.
  2. This is apparent from anecdotes, Qantas can vary this at their whim.
  3. This was 50% greater
  4. Probably no longer, I'm sure PO will get first dibs going forward. (i.e. a PO on a U ASA will be upgraded before a mere WP on a B fare)
In the last two decades I have had various employment roles, most of which had me doing a lot of work related travel. I could have travelled on industry fares if I desired, but was generally able to get permission use strategic Apex fares and later Red e-deals and the like to continue status. If I perceived insufficient travel for the status level I considered attainable, I would do (what I now know to be) a Mileage Run.

My employment related travel is basically no more these days. For the last 18 months I have been travelling out of my own pocket. I have met some great people and seen some wonderful places in that time.

Now to the Crux of this post! Being now Lifetime Gold, I am wondering if WP is still worth pursuing. I am AirNZ gold Elite, as such I can book any fare (including awards) and upgrade on the spot (just like the early 2000's with QFF). Oneworld sapphire stills gets reasonable benefit with oneworld travel (just no F/Lounging on non F fares).

I really am re-considering my loyalty to Qantas.