FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011, 2:33 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TIMOS
Well the quality of US premium cabins has never been great. Ever. Certainly not compared to Asian carriers or even Qantas. So I'm not sure if the Unlimited Complimentary upgrades have changed the quality of service.

The upgrades sometimes don't clear till you are at the airport, so there is always space for last minute changes like yourself.

Not sure I agree with the statement "freeloaders" in 1st class. If a first class seat is going to go out empty, why not give it to an elite who has already shown loyalty to your airline by earning status, and earn some goodwill and future business and revenue by offering a good deed.

I know every time I get a comp upgrade, United earns my business for another year. I am happy to pay extra $ on a flight with United even if AA or Delta or Virgin has a cheaper fare, as I know they have been loyal to me with upgrades

So to me that is a sound business move.
At one time US carriers did have good domestic premium products and had very competitive international premium products

If it is being given away just because it is empty, then there is no encouragement to actually purchase , nor any incentive for airline to maintain quality levels.

There are not always spaces for last minute changes; sometimes I get to airport just in time for an earlier flight but by that point the cabin is full of freeloaders and no seats left for paying passengers and I end up having to wait.

I think there are lots of good things about US schemes, but not that

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm