FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011, 11:57 am
TIMOS

As an Aussie living in USA now - I'm amazed at what a "rip off" the Qantas FF programme is compared to US based airlines

YEs, I know, the quality of the product with US airlines is not as good as Qantas. The planes, the lounges, the AVOD etc. Qantas is way ahead.

But maybe a rip off of a FF programme that is the price you Qantas guys pay for such a good product?

I am Premier Executive with United. That's the mid level status equivalent to Gold on Qantas. I've been Prem Exec wih United 5 years running now.
To qualify, I need to earn 50,000 EQMs (Elite Qualifying miles) per calander year. To (re) qualify for Qantas Gold you need to earn 600 status credits a year.

By my calculations I can earn 50,000 EQM a year with United by flying 3 times to Sydney (LAX-SYD-LAX) and once to NY (LAX-JFK-LAX) per year in ANY class of economy.

To earn the same level with Qantas in any class (discount) of economy I would have to fly SYD-LAX-SYC 6 times - and SYD-PER-SYD once.

That is basically twice as much flying needed on Qantas to acheive the same level of Status as on United.

BUT... in the US there are other ways to earn EQM and earn status! For example on my United credit card I get 5000 EQM (about 60 Qantas credits) for spending $35k on my card annually. I do that easily.

I also earn 1 EQM for every $ I spend with United on the card. So if I book a $1500 flight to Sydney, I earn 1500 EQM.

Considering I spend $35k (5000 EQM) on my card and normally about $5k a year on United flights (another 5000 EQM0 that actually means I need only earn 40,000 EQM to hit to Prem Exec Level - or Gold on Qantas.

So - long story short, living in the US I need to fly 40,000 miles to earn mid level elite status. On Qantas you guys need to fly 96,000 miles. 240% more!

I really think you guys get ripped off!

Add to that that being Prem Exec I earn 100% bonus on flight miles (think you guys get 75% now at Gold) I also get "unlimited domestic upgrades" (UDU) on any flights within USA, Hawaii, Mexico, Canada and Central America.

Yep, that's right - if there is an empty seat in First Class, I get it - FREE. No points, no miles, nothing. FREE (of course those with status higher than me get the seats first, then my level)

As a Prem Exec I find my "free" upgrades clear about 70% of the time. Flights to NY, Miami, Seattle and even Mexico!

My point here is not to boast - but more to point out how I feel you guys get ripped off by Qantas. Yes, the product is much better than US airlines. But I guess there is a price?

Interested to hear what you guys think.....