FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Senior GATO Visita Mexico
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2000, 2:08 pm
AlphaSigOU
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
Catman...

It's time for AlphaSigOU's 'INSTANT SPANISH!' lesson! (I speak Spanish like a native, but it doesn't get me very far in Mexico... my accent is obviously from the Caribbean region (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Venezuela) area -- and sometimes I get lost with their slang!)

Ciudad Acuņa (cee-OO-dad ah-COO-nyah), sometimes just shortened to 'Acuņa' is in the Mexican state of Coahuila (co-a-juee-la).

Unlike Nuevo Laredo (across from Laredo, TX), Acuņa is a lot cleaner and friendlier, and isn't out to gouge the gringo turista. Acuņa seems to attract a lot of people to the pharmacies, where prescription medicines are cheaper and some can be obtained over the counter. Ditto with Piedras Negras, across the river from Eagle Pass, TX).

A word of caution on Cuban cigars (other than the fact that they are illegal to import in the USA): Except in Nuevo Laredo, where there is an authorized dealer from Habanos S.A. (the Cuban state tobacco exporter) be very careful... some of these could be counterfeit. If they are genuine, they may not have been kept very well, and you could be wasting your money.

Next time in Del Rio... stop at the Val Verde winery... good Texas wine!

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

[This message has been edited by AlphaSigOU (edited 01-01-2000).]