FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary Change of Seats
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2011, 8:32 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by D582
On one of my upcoming YVR-YYZ flights, it was a 763 when booked, then changed to 321, and then changed to 320. At no point did my assigned seat number change, so I don't know if it is true to say that seats are randomly reassigned in the case of equipment changes.
A real life example of seats not necessarily having to be relocated when metal changes.

Originally Posted by fin 645
The whole point of AC's seat numbering protocol was to simplify seating during equipment changes, so if you have a seat that exists in most aircraft types (eg 24A), you should be OK. But the widebody/narrow body changes can cause real headaches, not only because there are more seats in a row, but particularly when the first row in Y is 18 on a 777 or 330, but 12 in a 767 or Airbus.

IMO, AC does not handle these well, particularly if going from a 777/330 (say, in 18A) to a 767, when that seat is already allocated - they just find a seat in any old place, irrespective of your status or obvious desire for a preferred seat.
Interesting.. so you're suggesting that airlines combine flights to increase load factor..

Then I can definitely agree that it would be a zoo trying to combine flights.. Of course the choice seats would already have been chosen on both flights.. so someone would have to be displaced.