FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you drive farther to get points?
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2011, 10:20 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Done it both ways .... question: would you need a rental car if you stayed at the convention property? That would be a huge consideration...if you already had a car, I'd still lean on staying on property - as others pointed out, its so much easier to run back to your room during lunch, breaks, etc.
That's a valid point re: the rental car. In that case I'd stay at the convention center property rather than incur cost of rental car + c.c. parking fees. If you're in your own car then I'd consider it.

The few times I've stayed at Marriott properties when conventions were being held at a non-points earning property, the Marriott properties were within a 10-minute walk of the convention/host hotel. Again, not as convenient as being able to run up to room, but I appreciated the points I gained by end of the 4-5 day convention.

And one time I ended up staying at a Fairfield Inn vs FS Marriott because the FS was 'convention main hotel' w/ jacked up rates. I only had one small client at the show & couldn't justify staying there, especially when they were at a less expensive option. But I didn't want to give up the Marriott points, so I found a FI not too far away/cheap by cab.

Cheers.