FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Armrest hogging and other personal space etiquette issue
Old May 14, 2011, 7:01 pm
pkerr

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
What do people do about those seatmates who encroach on your personal space...elbows spilling over the shared armrest or crossed legs bumping into your in YOUR space.

I was on a 737 from DFW-ORD in the exit row window. Exit Row middle seat passenger was a tall European guy. For most of the flight, he would hog the shared armrest, his elbows constantly spilling over into my space (nudging my ribs every now and then). When he crossed his legs, his foot would constantly knock into my leg...IN MY SPACE!

I didn't want to sound offended or rude since I do realize exit row seats are a bit narrow for large/tall people, but I did voice my dissatisfaction by politely "bumping" into his elbows and saying "sorry, excuse me". I don't think he got the message since, although he would move his arms...5 mins later he was at it again. Kind of annoying.

What would other people have done in this situation?
What do you expect? Europeons are just rude... Have you ever seen them que up for a line on the ski slopes?