View Single Post
Old May 12, 11, 4:37 pm
ESpen36
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
For the sake of posterity, let's keep our terminology clear. "Direct" is not the same thing as "Nonstop" in airline lingo. "Nonstop" is the word we should be using in the context of this thread.

To clarify:

"Connection" = change of flight number, multiple segments (what normally happens when you make a stop at a hub, for example)

"Direct" = no change of flight number, but could be multiple segments, such as A -> B -> C with change of aircraft and/or crew at B

"Nonstop" = one flight number and one segment (one takeoff and one landing).

("Direct" flights are less common nowadays than they used to be. Originally I think they were fuel/pax stops, but nowadays they are mostly for marketing purposes, I think. For example, AA could advertise a flight "from DCA to BOG" and it shows up that way on the airport boards and the timetables, but in reality it is two segments, DCA-MIA and MIA-BOG. Honestly, most pax are flying either DCA-MIA or MIA-BOG, but only very few are flying the whole thing. It's sort of a trick to make it look like the airline flies to more places than it actually does. The new trend is to have different flight numbers for each segment.)

There was another weird one that existed for a while, something like STL-RDU-LGA on an S80, just before mainline pulled out of the Northeast corridor. It was clearly designed to pick up more pax at RDU on the way up to LGA. When I was in grad school I often hopped on the RDU-LGA leg (it was a 5pm departure, IIRC) in order to sit in F and get a real glass for my drink for the 45-minute flight, instead of being crammed into a tiny RJ seat. Alas, no more mainline in the Northeast corridor!

Last edited by ESpen36; May 12, 11 at 4:42 pm