FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Free" tickets with Miles and More
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2011, 1:49 pm
eefor jfp

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd use this one to ask a redemption question.

My wife (who has no status) has 15,000 miles set to expire in a month or so. Seems to me she has a few options.
1. let the miles expire.
2. buy something from the Worldshop or FRA duty free. Very poor value (around 50 Euros for her miles) but better than letting them expire. Can I use her card to buy something if I have her pin? has anyone ever done this for a family member w/o status?
3. do a weekend city break somewhere. The places we are considering are around 400-600 Euro for a revenue ticket for the first weekend in June with taxes around 200-250 Euro. I would use my M&M account for my ticket. This, of course, assumes that there will be availability two weeks out, but history suggests that this is probable. We're looking at London, Milan, Paris, Berlin, Istanbul, etc.--someplace with a Hyatt to use up the free nights I got with my credit card. So we would be using her miles plus the cash plus 30,000 of my miles for a short but fun weekend. It's not a great value admittedly (although the tickets are expensive to buy) and when you add in local transport, food and sightseeing, it will set us back 500 Euro minimum.

So, any opinions? is it better to spend 500 Euro and 30,000 miles to "save"/redeem 15,000 miles but get a fun weekend in the process or to use my wife's miles to buy her some perfume at duty free (which she would definitely enjoy). And if you have any suggestion for something I may have missed, let me know.