FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup
Old May 8, 2011, 4:24 pm
abcx

I just had a relatively long conversation with the folks at 1800-AXP-EARN.

I had originally applied under the 10k link since I couldn't find a 25k link and was shot down via secure messaging about the 75k. So I decided to call them. The lady on the phone almost notated the account with the 75k bonus, until she read that it was targeted and she asked who got the offer. I fudged a little bit and said I got it from a "friend" (I suppose I could have lied and said I got it) and then she said she couldn't apply it on my account since it was targeted. I think most Amex reps just aren't reading the whole thing and applying it willy nilly without a RSVP code.

I then asked about the 25k offer as posted in #266. She went away for a little bit, came back and said it ended in April so I couldn't get that. The page is still online so YMMV on getting the 25k but you can always use the argument that the page is still online and doesn't mention an expiration date - they should give you 25k at the very least. But she offered me a 50k offer with $500 spend that she said I was eligible for (offer code 5889). I'm guessing this isn't targeted so for those who get shot down on the 75k 5894 offer this might be worth trying. Also, if you don't want to roll the dice on the 75k, especially now that it seems that they're cracking down, applying with 5889 on the phone might be worth it for a guaranteed 50k MR. She notated my account and said I should call back after completing the spend and they'll take care of it.

FWIW, she also told me that the 5894 code is active till July.

Edited to add: As always, all of this is very YMMV. The first lady I spoke to said she couldn't do anything till I actually had physical possession of the card. So I hung up and got the second lady who did all of the above for me. Who knows, if I had called again, I could actually get 75k.

Last edited by abcx; May 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm