FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "happy hour" food and drinks
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2011, 9:27 am
TMOliver

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by uk1
Do I detect a lack of francophilia?
Not at all....

50+ years of international travel (and exposure to other 'Merkin travelers) have convinced me that an attitude perhaps once justifiable in the 50s/early 60s that "The world is OUR oyster!" still unfortunately exists today among many. The Hiltons and others did much to reinforce that mindset. I recall my first stay at the Istambul Hilton, 1963 or so, when upon entering my room, I was close to physically transported back to the "Good Old USA". I moved to the Pera Palas, good enough for James Bond (and my perception of myself at the time). That long ago tiny, little more than a closet, room at the Golden Boot in Siena? I was only sleeping there and it was cheap, affordable for a navy Ensign "on the beach". On my earnings projected spending for entertainment, a sponge bath and the terlet at the end of the hall far outshown any imitation Sheraton or others of that ilk.

"Happy Hour" is not a custom which has received universal acceptance. So be it. That old phrase "wine of the country" remains good advice. In Ireland, I drink Guinness and pity the poor souls, Erse and 'Merkin, who line up at the frigid Budweiser tap. I learned to like Black Pudding, and order "Fish Pie" at almost every opportunity, whilst there and in Europe avoid "US branded" hotel dining rooms like the plague. If there is a God and there must be, for Who else would stimulate the everyday breakfast offerings at small Irish country hotels, we should be thankful that some cultural artifacts have not fallen victim to 'Merkin customs.