FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going on a MR, 2 segments seem oversold, need tips on getting bumped
Old May 6, 2011, 7:08 am
Bluehen1

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by G-fly
Awesome advice! Thank you ^

I searched ITA and found routing through DEN (BOS-DEN-PHX) with both flights looking wide open on EF. Would there be any reason why the agent wouldn't want to put me on this (or any) particular routing? In other words, should I prepare more alternatives?

As for the second possible bump (PHX-SFO), it's looking much more problematic. From ITA it looks like the only other available routing to BOS that day is through LAX on UA6528 and that's what it looks like on EF:

UA6528 Y5 B5 M3 E3 U3 H3 Q3 V3 W3 S3 T0 L0 K0 G0

So this brings me to two other questions:

1. What is the likelihood of the agent allowing me to use non-UA/CO metal? Should I prepare routing for *A or will any airline do?

2. What is the likelihood of the agent giving me a hotel room for the night and a flight for the next morning? If I offer to pay for the hotel room myself would that help?

BTW, I don't really care about UDU or collecting segments. Unfortunately I'm not elite (yet) this year and I'm aiming for miles, not segments. I'm only looking for UA/CO flights since I'm assuming the agent would be more likely to allow it.

Oh... but you're so kind... I'm sure a heartfelt thank you would suffice
1. The priority for rebooking will be UA, CO, US, then anyone else very reluctantly. Also think about midpoint cities that might be served by one or both other than hubs (i.e., PIT).

2. If your bump requires you to stay overnight, a hotel room plus meal vouchers will be part of the package. I think that it's part of the requirements for this to be the case because they can't get you to your destination within 4 hours. Offering to pay for the hotel won't make a difference.

As someone else previously stated, when the desk opens go up and ask the GA if it is oversold and if they're looking for volunteers. They'll probably ask your final destination and let them know what cities you'd be willing to connect through if they can't get you there directly. I just did this on US on Tuesday and wound up with $500 for a 2 hour delay.