FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgrading compensation - it's official!
Old May 5, 2011, 2:11 am
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
I am curious if this change is related to the new IDB amounts that were recently imposed by the government ($650/$1300). Maybe they are trying to offset future losses there by cutting back on other compensation?
I doubt that completely. For various reasons.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
500 points (offered to my flight 2 months ago for a 3 hour delay) is the new normal for CO. As I've said before, since airlines typically value miles at $.01 per, CO is saying your time wasted on MX delays is worth between $1.25-$1.35/hour. Classy.
If I got 500 mi in "compensation", I would send in a complaint about it. Its almost as bad as the snark the UA "customer service" people have been sending out in their emails lately.

Originally Posted by emanon256
Thats DL. If you are Diamond, you get miles and a free drink and snack. If you are gold, you get a free drink or snack.
I don't like DL generally, but that is a great policy.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Really not understanding the big financial windfall for United by killing off the ecerts for crappy service.

Wasn't too long ago that they were giving away 10% e-certs like crazy for the Optathon game.

A classic byproduct of merger....multiple personality disorder?

Why tick off your customers? Operations...meet Marketing.
I totally forgot about Optathon. It goes to show that certs don't hurt the bottom line much at all.

Also, there is basically no windfall, especially considering the amount of breakage. Just a bunch of pissed off high level elites.

Originally Posted by goalie
Regardless how many miles flown or how much one spends, CO's 500 mile or $25 compensation is a total joke
Absolutely. I think UA's GM minimum is/was $75.

Originally Posted by Karter
I wrote in about a broken overhead light and non-reclining seat in domestic F (upgraded by CR-1). I was told that they would not compensate me this time because of already being compensated for similar issues in the past.

I felt ashamed of myself for writing in at all, but when I'm used to getting $200 or so for such problems, why wouldn't I write in?
You have got to be kidding me. Unless its a night flight, I don't see that as a reason to compensate (by email anyway), but a non-reclining seat that should recline should ALWAYS be compensated. Especially in F. Anyway, this is what skykits are for. The FAs verify the break and CS doesn't have to "apologize."

Originally Posted by emanon256
Shame on them for not fixing these issues!

How it reads to me:

You: Your Plane is broken and caused me inconvenience.
UA: Have $200

You: Your plane is still broken and caused further inconvenience.
UA: We already gave you something, so shut up.
Yeah, its totally rich.

Originally Posted by fastair
Using a premium service that people pay for to get away from the crowds and to avoid the lines of misconnected customers is a bad form of compensation for those who have paid for that service. If every misconnected was let into the rcc, those that have paid for use of the rcc would have a pretty low caliber experience, fighting for space and service with the hundreds of disgruntled misconnected non-members.
Oh come on Fasty, didn't you read the OP's whole comment? They are a 1K who ended up with a pretty lengthy misconnect. Its not as if they are some GM on their once a year trip to Disney. An RCC pass is appropriate.