FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Zones are gone, Boarding by row starts 11 May
Old May 3, 2011, 4:42 pm
laginibre

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by boolean64
Well for 1Ps it depends. The ability to use the red carpet after boarding has started is an increased benefit. But for 1Ps who are there when boarding starts, they have the same challenge that 1Ks do in terms of having no advantage over 2Ps for getting on the plane to secure overhead bin space.

I'd be just fine with letting 1Ps and 2Ps use the red carpet after boarding has started. What I find preposterous is the idea that all elites will be invited to board at the same time when boarding starts. This takes away a key differentiator and benefit for 1Ks and 1Ps
As a 1P, I don't really care whether I board on the red carpet or the blue one. What matters most to me is to have access to overhead storage in very close proximity to my row. I always fly in Y, I like bulkhead seats and never bring more than one regulation-complient carry on. With the current system, I make a point of lining up early, near the blue carpet, to make sure I get first crack at the overhead bin above my seat. I can't begin to tell you how often I've witnessed other passengers dump bags or strollers above my row and then proceed to the back of the plane. Not fair to the other passengers who have seats near the door! In my experience, parents with strollers tend to be the worse offenders. 1Ks are very experienced travelers and, generally, board very smoothly; I really don't mind if I board after them. Military? I never seem to see many of them, so I don't see it as an issue. But infrequent flyers and families who bring the kitchen sink with them? I see a lot of them, all the time. In my mind, elite status gives an indication of how experienced you are with the process; the more time you've spent on a plane, the more considerate you tend to be toward other travelers.