FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Referral links in signatures - clarification needed
Old May 1, 2011, 10:47 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
While discussion is ongoing re: whether there should be a commercial thread, it occurred to me this morning that maybe congos should go in a separate category.
(Bolding mine)

Exactly! ^

Just to be clear, ever since 2009, I've communicated with quite a few mods in at least 5 different fora w/r/t referral links in sig, either via RBPs or PMs. None of them ever did congas on FT. The general view of referral links are just commercial links is not just a downplay of the issue of conga on FT but also a failure to comprehend the practice of conga. let alone the current SPAM Forum Guidelines clearly spell things out.

Originally Posted by Markie
Surely this is an issue of Moderation - they are responsible for enforcing signatures, in the same way as they enforce for content.
Originally Posted by jackal
I believe commercial content is allowed in signatures. I don't know how that translates with regard to referral links, though.

There is a Moderator Signature Committee that reviews signatures for questions of appropriateness. A good starting point may be contacting the Community Director, SanDiego1K, for further guidance on how to submit signatures for review.

If it's a contentious issue, TalkBoard can look at revisiting the policy, but as far as enforcement, that is indeed a moderator/Community Director thing.
I have to disagree.

In my eyes, referral links in signature is a misinterpreted TOS issue which lead to inconsistency in moderation. When TOS is failed to provide a clear guideline, TalkBoard should step up to the plate and straight things out.

Even since the new signature policy went into effect to allow commercial links in 2009, I've raised my concerns in the now archived forum. My opinions haven't changed, if not getting stronger. I am going to repost what I had posted on July 2009 and November 2010. One thing I may add is that I think referral links in signature is the worst case of cross-posting to benefit whoever implant such links in signature.

This is what I said in July 2009: "Referral Links Included?"

I want to make sure whether referral links would be part of the updated signature policy.

I had some discussion with some mods both publicly and privately. My understanding is that referral links are not allowed in signatures on FT. The inconsistency in mods when reinforcing signature links is indeed problematic that my most recent RBP on a signature referral link was not and hasn't been acted upon.

Besides, per FT rules, all referral bonuses belong to SPAM Forum. I don't think referral links should travel with any FTer's signature.

S.P.A.M.
Sites with Points and Alternative Miles, including referral bonuses, congas and any other loyalty currencies.
If FT does have a clearly stated policy to forbid referral links in signatures, I am sure it'll stop those who make it a habit to plug in personal referral links in their signature links. It'll also make it easier for our mod team to do their job.

(I'll repost my post from November 2010 in next post)