FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread
Old Apr 30, 2011, 5:03 am
donster1976

Programs: LH SEN
To complain or not to complain?

I need some help to understand if I should get very annoyed (and complain) or if I should be happy with what I got. Maybe someone out there can set my head straight...

A friend and I had a four night stay at the IC Kiev over Easter and I made three reservations to cover that. One reservation via F&F rate (club room), two nights via the weekend certificate (standard room) and one free night for some promotion (standard room). So two nights we would have to pay and the two others where free of charge.
Then I contacted the hotel and asked if it is possible to stay in the club room during our entire stay (waving the ambassador card) and also have two beds instead of one king size bed. They confirmed that and I know that this was a nice gesture as for some (if not all) of the above rates the ambassador privileges would not apply. So far so happy...
We got picked up at the airport and at check in they wanted to first check us in for one night. I explained the complex situation with three reservations, free nights etc. Then they wanted to charge me for four nights and eventually that was sorted out, but they didn't ask for the weekend certificate.
We got to the room and it was a king size bed. So back to reception and asked them to give us a room with two beds as confirmed WEEKS in advance. I was thinking they put us just into another room but no way. So we where standing there in our room and watching as two housekeeping staff took apart the kingsize bed and converted it into two beds. All with carrying matrazes around and dragging stuff in from another room incl. the bedcovers/sheets/pillows etc. Kind of uncomfortable situation and my thinking was why the reception staff didn't tell us to have a coffe in the bar and wait 30min for them to sort it out.
Eventually we where setup with two beds poorly made up, but what the heck. So we settled down and a nice thing is the mini bar is included so we wanted to have some drinks. One of the OJ bottles was already half emptied! Small thing but the crap was already piling up. On top of that no Ambassador recognition like fruits/water etc. Usually I am not really insisting on that, but it is nice to see what they come up with. But a leaflet to advertise to the guests exactly these benefits if they join the oh so exclusive Ambassador Program... After calling they brought a fruit platter with some good (and some bad) fruits.
Ok, off to the Club Lounge we figured. Well, we tried to get in, but it was closed. I loved the reason: It was reserved for the Russian Delegation (picture this being said with thick Russian Accent) who where attending the Tchernobyl Conference. Good for them to have the lounge to themselves. I can understand that this is also good business for the IC. But is it too much to let us know prior to walking up to the lounge like when we check in? So back to reception and I asked them what the benefit of a Club room is, if the lounge is closed. Big confusion... Eventually we where told that we can have breakfast in one of the restaurants and can chose from 2 set dinner options. We still had to work out the applicable free drinks and the times where we could take advantage of the offer.
After two days our two key cards stopped working. They had deactivated them to force us to come to reception to ask us for the ambassador weekend certificate. Their own words! I’m sure there must be other ways to get in touch with us. After all they know where we live...
I did write the guest relation manager a lengthy email and that as a guest (ambassador or not) I would expect better service than what we experienced. I got the general blabla statements:
-------------------------------------
Warm regards from InterContinental Kiev!
Thank you very much for your time in writing the letter. We highly appreciate your feedback.
Kindly expect my sincere apologies with the inconvenience you have experience upon the check in. Please rest assure that all necessary actions were taken to prevent this situation to be happen again.
-------------------------------------
So now my question should I complain via the IHG website or should I be happy about the pre-confirmed upgrades and probably larger choice at breakfast? I’m leaning towards complaining as to me the pre approved upgrade is no excuse for bad service during the stay.

Minus
- No twin configuration of room
- Club Lounge not available
- Used mini bar
- No ambassador recognition
- Constantly deactivated key cards

Plus
- great breakfast
- upgrade to club room although rate didnt apply for ambassador benefits

On a side note: The concierge service was exceptional throughout the stay and I have already complimented them through the customer care webinterface.