FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:59 pm
NYBanker

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
As a former STL resident I'd really like to see the airport administration do something similar to SEA. It would be great if we could demolish concourse C and create an expanded central security checkpoint in the Main Terminal (err Terminal 1) with shops, restaurants, Admirals Club, Delta Sky Club, and other amenities shared between the existing "A" and "D" concourses. Keep E and Terminal 2 as is but retain connection through D concourse. This would be sufficient capacity for the airports current and future needs and reduce operating and maintenance costs of the closed concourses. Sadly, the airport administration doesn't have the interest or credentials to run a quality airport and were placed by their city hall friends.
All great ideas...but as an investment manager involved in the ownership and operation of a world class airport (outside of the US, of course), what you are describing would likely take an extended period of time. Right or wrong (and we are commercially minded private owners operating under a flexible 99 year concession), proper planning and implementation of ideas like yours are not done overnight. While perhaps the government operator might not be the most nimble, we, as a skilled private operator (we own several airports in our fund), to do things other than haphazardly, recognize that pretty heavy planning is needed.

I don't know the capacity of the airport (though I understand there is plenty of excess), if I were the operator, I'd be balancing the need to restore acceptable service levels as quickly as possible, with the impetus provided by the storm to take some bolder measures.