FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Road Trip to the Big Easy, April, 2011, at Hilton and Loews, with a few pictures
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:29 pm
hoyateach

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
April 11, 2011
Loews Hotel, Room 1806
New Orleans, Louisiana

I took it a little easier on Monday, attending sessions only the morning. After a filling lunch of shrimp creole and red beans and rice with my former dissertation advisor at Mother's Restaurant across from my hotel, I walked to the National World War II Museum. I went completely camera-crazy in here but will spare you the full load of photos.

A Merlin engine for the Spitfire fighter. I want one for my Honda.

Rupert!

Prophylaxis

The Letter from Ike

A Dauntless SBD carrier-based dive bomber.

A C-47 Skytrain.

A German anti-aircraft gun.

That night, I packed up the chocolate and wine, put the rest of my belongings together, and got ready to go home. I didn't visit some of the other tourist attractions, like Cafe du Monde and St. Louis Cathedral, as I had only so much time and will likely visit again in the future.

I like New Orleans. Fun town.

April 12, 2011
Loews Hotel, Room 1806
New Orleans, Louisiana

Checkout was painless, other than the high price tag. I got my car and was deep into the Garden District for a stop at Whole Foods - they carry gourmet cheeses unavailable in East Texas - when I realized I'd left a pair of sport coats in my room. I called the hotel and, when I got there 15 minutes later, the coats were already waiting.

In fact, other than the ridiculous $12.95/day Internet charge for a slow connection, a fickle bathroom light, and a broken luggage rack, Loews impressed. The staff was uniformly outstanding.

There was one other potential hitch: I signed up for their rewards program on my second night, only to learn that my stay at the NOLA wouldn't be credited as the rewards number wasn't attached to my reservation before check-in.

When I got a survey the next day, I complained about this and the other minor quibbles. The hotel manager contacted me directly and said he'd credited my stay and promised an upgrade for my next visit. I wrote back asking how to claim the upgrade but haven't yet heard back.

The drive home was anti-climactic. I had a pancake breakfast at a Cracker Barrel north of Alexandria and refueled at a nearby gas station but otherwise raced home. The trip was nice, NOLA was a lot of fun, but five days away from home is about my limit.

Last edited by hoyateach; Apr 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm