FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United forcing to gate check a bag to destination
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:05 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by fastair
ok, so the ga said it would make it, it did. Also, what carrier operates an 8am flight sea-yvr? I don't accept that everything posted from 1 side is speakers factual. The op questioned the agent's statement that the bag would make it (was correct) while he claims to be on a non-existent flight on any carrier that goes from sea-yvr at 8am.

Seems the agent whose credibility is in question was far more reliable in their statements than the op. Again, no need to make up bs stories about connections to Vladivostok or lie about having hazardous materials in your bag. I don't give the ga too much credit, they came thru, and delivered what was committed to, so I gave them the correct amount of credit. Those that bet incorrectly gave not enuf credit. Those that believed the op had an 8 am flight to yvr as he stated gave too much credit to him.
I believe it was you who insisted in previous threads that you'd never even tell people whether they'd have enough time to go to the bath room before departure, reasoning that you don't know how long they'll need and what they'll do once they are in there. Fine, I agree.

In this case, according to the OP the GA "insisted there was no way my bag would miss my connection". Would you agree with that kind of statement? I'd say there was a darn good chance (with a 20 min connection and two gates as far apart as possible at UA's SFO T3) that the bag would not make it. It seems clear the GA was promising/guaranteeing something that was completely out of their control. And the OP was lucky and fortunate that the bag made it. And hopefully the hard disk is still functional.

Regarding the 8am flight from SEA to YVR, this might simply be a misunderstanding. His original statement was "An plus I leave Seattle at 8 am heading to Vancouver, then onward to about 10 other cities over next few days" -- that doesn't necessarily mean a flight to YVR. Later the OP said he was going to be with family in Seattle til Saturday. Could be a road trip with family. If the OP is still following this thread, a clarification might help here.