FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:21 am
tartempion

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Giving in to the request of a colleague

We both had to travel from Brussels to company HQ in Atlanta Georgia, starting meetings on Monday morning.
Sabena had a direct B747 flight on Saturday, which I usually took and enjoyed relaxing on Sunday, recovering from jet lag.

But my colleague was so much in love with his wife he would only fly on Sunday via NY JFK. He insisted I travel with him guaranteeing we would have a drink at the hotel bar around 5pm, enough to have a quite evening and a steak at Houstons, a short walk from our Lenox square hotel.

He insisted so much I finally gave in.
When we landed at JFK we had to wait for 2 hours before the luggage came out: the cargo door was frozen.
Thus we missed our connection flight on deceased Eastern Airlines to Atlanta.

To add to our misery the next flight showed CANCELED.

Thus many hours later, when dark set in, we boarded an Eastern flight and the purser announced ""welcome to this direct flight to Norfolk West Virginia"....

What the heck, we want to fly to Atlanta!

Landing one hour later in Norfolk, West Virginia all but two passengers left the plane, some new folks came on board and the purser announced "Welcome to this direct flight to Atlanta Georgia" (at last)

We got at or hotel after midnight, the bar was closed and I had a bad day Monday morning