FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Flying to London on DL
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:21 pm
Arthur Randolph

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PBAudit
I also took advantage an inexpensive round trip (and round about) trip to LHR. On a $748 ticket my itinerary was SFO - FLL (overnight), FLL-LGA (overnight), JFK-LHR and JFK-ATL-SFO. The overnight segment were schedule for meetings in Ft Lauderdale and New York.

I was scheduled on the flight JFK-LHR flight was @ 10:35 pm. I arrived at the Sky Club (near Gate 12) around 5:30 pm and asked if I could be go on an earlier flight (6:25 pm or 8:50 pm). I knew that this was not permissible and was told so by the agent at this specific Sky Club.

I went to different Sky Club and the agent there was very helpful. She told me while Same Day change was not allowed on International flights, she would try to get me on an ealier flight. About an hour later she called me up and said she was able to make the change. I got the impression that this was the first time she tried this. She said that she tried various methods, and she was successful by just making the change herself. I didn't ask for further details on what she did.

As I they scanned my boarding pass for the 8:50 pm flight, I heard a ding. Since I wasn't booked in an exit row, this meant an op-up to Business Elite. The Business Elite section was about 80% full. During the flight I forgot to ask for a Fast Track ticket for Heathrow. I spent about 45 minutes waiting in line to clear Customs. Meanwhile, I saw the couple who were sitting in front of me on the flight, go through Fast Track and clear Customs in a couple of minutes.

On the return flight, when checking in, I received a message that they may be looking for volunteers on the LHR-ATL flight. I checked at the gate and they said that they didn't need any volunteers. At least I was hopeful that I would receive another Op-up on this flight.

While waiting, they were calling names to come to the gate. I assumed that these were those being upgraded, but alas, did not hear my name. I waited to the end of the Sky Priority line to board. As they scanned my boading card, there a ding, but it was because I was in an exit row, not because they needed my Coach seat and were going to upgrade me.

As I walking towards the jet bridge, they announced that they were looking for a volunteer to give up their seats, for 1000 Delta dollars. I immediately turned around and volunteered my seat.

I asked if they could put me on the United nonstop LHR to SFO the next day. They accomidated my request and booked me on the next day's flight. I went to the United check in area (Terminal 1), requested a seat assignment and be placed on the upgrade list (using a United SWU). I was told that they could immediately confirm an upgrade to a Business class seat!

United, while not as restrictive, still requires you to buy a higher fare (W). They do not allow upgrades on their lowest fares (S, L, T, G). I was fortunate that the Delta "T" fare was rebooked in a fare catagory that allowed the upgrade.

When they printed out the new receipt, I noticed they broke down the fare ($495 + $253 Taxes/Fees). The way the fare broke down was $125 (SFO-FLL), $83 (FLL-LGA), $106 (JFK-LHR), $181 (LHR-SFO).

I still need to contact Delta to request the mileage for the LHR-ATL-SFO miles.
That is some serious tactical decision-making + good luck. Applause!