FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with Airbnb?
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:55 am
farci

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I know that extra fees are "supposed" to be listed, but I sincerely doubt that many are. I'm also not crazy about those airbnb filters - they seem to have many holes. What I really fear is that I might be asked to put down a large security deposit in cash, and then have trouble getting it back!
We have our own listing on AirBnB and have also used it in several European cities.

As a host all the money is held by AirBnB until the guest checks in. The host also pays a commission to AirBnB. But all the charges are shown up front. Somebody commented on the cancellation charges. We operate through AirBnB as well as our own website. You might be surprised at the number of no-shows! So from the host point of view, we are covered and reasonable people need not fear.

From a user point of view, we have had variable experiences usually related to how much you pay, but honest feedback will soon weed out the no-hopers from - mostly - really good modest accommodation. Remember you are (usually) a guest in someone's home. If you want 4* hotel - don't do it. If you want to connect with locals - it's well worthwhile