FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:51 pm
jimmayz

Originally Posted by flyer206
Extending a companion fare
Tickets must be booked by the expiry date but can be for travel up to 330 days in advance. So book 2 full-fare or first class tickets for travel 11 months in advance to any destination on AS. When you have decided when and where you want to go, call AS to change the tickets. Since the tickets are full-fare or first class the changes will be no charge. The tickets can be changed to a lower level ticket including hot fare and the destination can be changed as well. If the tickets are cheaper then the amount will be refunded to the same credit card.
The business companion fare however is different. Travel must be completed by expiry date although it is said that they may let it slide for 30 days.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-question.html

New to the program, just booked my first companion fare, SEA - OGG in Sep 2011. Reading over this thread to make sure I understand my options.

So now that I booked my ticket, sounds like I should call up the Alaska desk and ask if they can switch me to a lower fare class? Am I reading that right? Sounds too good to be true? Will the agents balk at doing this since it doesn't seem like the intent of the companion fare? (to book one at full fare)

Thanks for the help.