FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:42 pm
Jet Ranger

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Seat wrongly taken by someone else...again!!

hi all,
Just curious if this is just me, or it happens regularly...
I fly BA 209/208 every 3 weeks back n forth between MIA and LHR and have my routine down to a tee, and I'm the sort of flyer who likes to board last minute...
I always book 64K - never take a different seat - I use expert flyer to check its free before I book my flights.
I'd say 6 times out of 10, someone is already in 64K when I board.
The looks I get go from -
1. Well, I'm with my wife/husband in 64J so we knew you'd not mind
2. I thought everyone was on board so I decided to take the seat
3. Are you sure - I'm in this seat - look my boarding pass shows....erm...64A/J etc etc and then lots of huffing and puffing when I suggest they move to their correct seat.

Its become annoying! to the point where the other Mr Jetranger hates me saying - can we board early - I'm fed up of someone being in my seat when I board.

Now as climbing the stairs I shoot a look backwards and see if anyone is in my seat, and if someone is, I hand my boarding pass over to the crew member at the top of the stairs and politely say - could you confirm this is my correct seat... and let the evil looks and daggers fly.

Before anyone whinges, and says I should be flex and let separated couples sit together, I'd be more flex if they asked me after I sit down, not take my seat and assume I'd be ok...
and the other Mr Jetranger has 62K - his favourite seat - we don't sit together - we spend our entire lives together - its our chillout time where we are most comfortable and able to sleep.

It happened to me again last week, and just curious if anyone else experiences seat stealers and how they deal with the situation and had any obnoxious people who've been difficult in giving back your seat!!