FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX to offer Amex Centurion Cardholders from Certain Countries MPC Diamond status
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:11 am
Cathay Boy

Originally Posted by tedhl
I'm not 100% sure, but I somehow thought, it's the operating airline paying for the lounge access, and not the member's "home airline" ? e.g. if a CX DM flying BA visits a BA lounge...CX actually doesn't need to pay anything. but if a CX DM flying BA visits an AA lounge, then it's BA paying AA for the lounge access, but not CX paying ? CX pays only when it's say a CX DM flying CX visiting BA lounge...then BA gets paid by CX since it's CX operating the flight (and not because the member comes from CX program). but I might be mistaken...
Yes, you are right. If CX DM flying on BA ticket visiting BA lounge, CX doesn't need to pay anything. It's only if that CX DM is flying CX that visits BA lounge, then BA can charge CX per person per visit (which explains why BA crew in JFK are giving away lounge access to anyone that travels with elite fliers. When I was SL the BA crew actually gave me +2 when I had two clients traveling with me, but CX benefits clearly indicates SL are not allowed to bring in any guest.)

So if Centurions card holders are getting OW Emerald and are flying the same airline as the lounge operators, then they don't make any more money.