FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 11, 11:01 am
thepointsguy

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by longleaf View Post
The new AA fuel surcharge to Europe and Asia has seriously devalued BA miles. No longer is AA the best single partner for BA for international trips (unless you are going south of the border, in which case LAN is a good option too). I think CX & JAL (for asia) are now cheaper than even AA as far as fees go. It's a shame if you don't live in a CX/JAL gateway. The great thing about AA was that they are everywhere in the US, so you didn't have to live at a CX or JAL gateway. If my memory is right, Finair had a cheap YQ for Europe (again if you live at the Finair gateway). The single partner thing is a real handicap if you don't live in a major gateway city.
Agreed- and paying a huge surcharge to travel on AA is not worth it IMO. I'd pay for the New BA First, but thats about it. I plan to use my BA payday for South America and Cathay travel. Then again, I'm fortunate because I'm NYC based and have lots of options. I would have a much harder time living in a non international gateway.