Old Jan 13, 04, 4:21 pm
M.Leo

Any recent experiences at this property? I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh in mid-Feb.

On a related note, a few weeks ago the entire M.Leo clan stayed for one night at the Sheraton Station Square (needed to sneak in that 25th stay to hit Plat in 2003).

Overall, not bad. But not so great, either. I'm wondering, with hindsight, if the Westin is the better option.

Checked in at 11:30 p.m. Nobody at the front desk -- except one other person (frankly, a fairly unsavory-looking character) waiting to check out (11:30 p.m. check out with his young lady friend...) We wait 10 minutes, still no help. Finally, we find a security guard, who has to use the walkie-talkie twice to rouse someone to come to the desk.

I am being kind when I say the desk clerk barely had a pulse. No "hello" or "how are you Mr. M.Leo" or "welcome" or any of those nice things. OK. Fine. Checks me in, hands me the key. The security guy sees all this, and notices the sleepy little M.Leos, and offers to take our bags to the room. Chatting all the way, pointing out local sights, etc. Refuses my tip, saying it's a pleasure to help. Great guy. Why on earth can't the front desk clerk be like this guy?

Upgraded to river-view room (has the spg guest plate on door.) Room is very clean. Fairly big. Recently updated. Still has that certain '70 Sheraton vibe (the open closet, for example, with the clothes rack set at about 4 feet off the floor...). View of downtown skyline is very nice.

We go to bed immediately, and immediately we find out the downside of river-view room. Right below us is a very, very active freight train mainline. All night, big trains blow by, making the most amazing racket.

Room service staff was delightful. Food was OK. Check out in the morning was somewhat more friendly, but could use a little work.

One final nit: paid parking is an outdoor lot (or the public garage across the street). Our car was fine in the am but I was, frankly, a little nervous.

M.Leo