FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:02 pm
TIMOS

I generally find trips that yield between 12-15k round-trip, and I try to keep the fares between $800 - $1,000 (not always successful, but that's my goal). I figure I have to do 3-5 trips a year, so $2,400 - $4,000. Of course you can't just look at the $$$, if you love to travel and love to go to new places then you aren't really just paying for the EQMs are you?
Thanks for your input coyote! I kind of agree with you. I am more than half way there. I don't really see myself flying LAX-PHL-MCO-ORD-SFo-DEN=LAX all in a day to do this. I see myself going to Tokyon for 2 days on a long weekend to see the city and travel the world and earn 1K

Originally Posted by nmenaker
how do you get that many EQM's from chase? Is that 35K$ in spend, plus about 3000$ in tickets on ual.com?
Yes. $35k spend and about another $3k un united.com. Come to think of it it.s more like $5k on united.com

Originally Posted by halls120
Is it worth it? Well, as a 1P, my upgrade success rate hovers at or just below 50%. As a 1K, it was in the mid-90% range.

Hell yes it's worth it.
Yeah that sounds appealing!

I have been 1k for over 10 years and it is definately worth it. Flying an extra 50k miles will probably set you back $5-6k but if you take the view that means each SWU costs you $1k then it is still good value.
You will have earned 50k miles, SWU can upgrade you from a really cheap fare (no need for a 'B' or co-pay) and you are way ahead on the upgrade list. You also get to board ie. find overhead space - before everyone else.
You also get faster check-in at the airport and seldom on hold for long when calling.
Well I'm Prem Exec now so if I have to fly 50,000 miles to get to 1K I'd actually earn 100,000 miles!

I'd actually need to do about 40,000 - so I'd get 1K and 80,000 miles.

Also, LAX-JFK is about 5000 miles round trip. 10 of those and I'd be 1K. I can buy LAX-JFK for $350. So it might cost me as little as $3500 in fares

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm Reason: merge