FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need your help for a Fairmont trip
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:10 pm
CanuckFlyHigh

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by kokinos
Since the OP said he loves driving I suggest something along these lines:
Arrive Calgary: Palliser
Drive to Banff Springs
Drive to Jasper Park Lodge
Drive down to Lake Louise
Drive to Vancouver stay at: Pacific Rim
Drive to Whistler
Drive back down to Horseshoe Bay and take ferry to Vancouver Island and stay at Empress
Drive to Tsawassen Bay take ferry back to Vancouver if you are leaving next day you can stay at Fairmont Vancouver airport or back to the Pacific Rim

So that's 8 nights so you can decide where to stay an additional two nights so you don't have to drive every day. Most of the drives are actually only a couple hours except for getting to Jasper and Vancouver.

I've done a very similar trip quite a few times over the years when family comes to visit from Europe. They have all been very impressed since most of the Fairmonts are actually landmarks to see anyway. Now I haven't done it in such a short period but not much longer either.

It's just a tough call in case you want to shorten the amount of driving which Fairmonts to exclude. Being Suisse the OP gets a good chance to be amongst mountains but I still think Whistler is a must see. It's just 100% different then the resorts OP has back home. Victoria/Vancouver have the Ocean which the OP also doesn't have in his backyard.
If I could correct something, it would make much more sense to do Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Vancouver. Less backtracking since you drive right by LL on the way to Jasper.