FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Plat charge dispute issue
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:33 pm
GNVGator

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Amex Plat charge dispute issue

Hey guys running into an issue with Amex Platinum dispute center. Kind of a long story so stay with me, not sure what else to do...

About 2.5 months ago I booked a weekend trip to NYC. I booked the W in New York on the Amex travel site. Turns out there are 4 or 5 W New Yorks in NYC. Of course I booked the wrong one. I realized this about 5 minutes after I made the booking when the email receipt was sent to me.

Right after realizing the mistake I called amex travel and told them the issue, which was intending to book the W on Lexington and not the W downtown. He was apologetic saying that this was a nonrefundable fare and he couldn't make any changes, but he suggested that I called Starwood and said maybe they could help me get my reservation switched. Good idea...

Called the SPG Gold line and got a very friendly lady who said no problem it happens alot. Got the reservation canceled no problem no fees, and then rebooked while on the phone with her for the W on Lexington.

Next phone call was back to Amex this time to MR b/c I booked it partially with points. Told him the story about how the reservation was changed. He said no big deal that the points will just show up as a statement credit. Great! Amex is really helpful.

Figured I'd give a call to the Amex dispute center just to cover my bases. Told him the story that the first reservation was canceled directly with Starwood and rebooked with them and asked to make sure that there weren't going to be two hotel charges. No problem, made a note showed the usual dispute note below your statement balance. Wow, close call, glad that worked out.

Went to NYC great trip, saw old friends. Four weeks after the trip I get a letter from Amex saying they denied my dispute. The letter said the resevation was never cancelled and that I never contacted Amex to cancel the reservation. Also said "customer cancelled the reservation directly with the hotel which is an incorrect method of cancellation", after they said it wasn't cancelled. Lastly stated that if I had documentation stating otherwise to send it in and they would reopen the dispute.

The next day I fax to them the cancellation email sent to me from the W, my cell phone bill showing the date and time of calls made to Amex and SPG, and a letter stating among other things that it was the Amex TA who told me to call Starwood.

Once again dispute is reopened. Fastforward to today and I received the same denied letter listing the same reasons with the same screenshots attached showing the reservation confirmed. Letter says to contact the merchant directly for any further dispute attempts...Amex is the merchant...

My spin: that's fine if I can't change the reservation, I would have understood and kicked myself for not being more careful, but don't tell me to call Starwood to cancel the reservation only to not honor the cancellation.

Not sure what to do next. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long story but wanted to get all of the facts out. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Last edited by GNVGator; Mar 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm