FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to 'travel' in F, F etiquette
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:09 am
ORDnHKG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Kev-
Seems a bit harsh to say that an F passenger shouldn't be allowed to have their spouse come up and talk for a bit, at least not an automatic blanket rule. If there were space on the flight, he'd be up there talking with her, just the same. He indicated not using the aisle ("assuming there is a companion ottoman chair or something or I have one of those suites"). It's not really a case of "hey come check out all this fancy first class stuff!", because he'd have his own F ticket if there was space in the cabin on the particular flight.
Harsh ? Definately NOT. And yes, there is a rule to ban Y and C pax to come up to F. If the FA didn't enforce this rule, it is only because the FA is lazy. Even UA FA would make an annuncement that pax should only stay in their own ticketed cabin.

F pax can go to C and Y to talk to your companion but not vice versa. Asian carriers would definately enforce this rule no matter what, and NH for an example, would even put a sign at the curtain that separate each cabin about pax should not go pass their ticketed cabin.

Space or not in F is irrelevant, as most time on long haul F it is always empty, but it doesn't mean anyone from Y or C are invited to go there to talk with someone you know.

Even when F pax go to C and Y is not suggested, as I have been with many F long haul flights on Asian carriers, I decided to talk a walk, and the FA serve in F even go to look for me. I know they want to tell me I should not go to other cabins, however, they know since I am in the premium cabin, they worry it would upset me, and I just tell them I want some exercise for my feet.