FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska on your own - any money saving tips?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:50 am
opus2002

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Great tips here.

In-laws maybe coming with us, and not sure how many people yet. Kids ages 5 and 3 maybe included, so that would affect the activities/planning.

The reason I am going to Seward first before Homer is I am planning on a loop drive (clockwise). Also, that is how Frommer's was organized. I guess I can do counter-clockwise too. We'll likely do some nature stuff at the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies, maybe the boat ride to the far side of Kachemak Bay (suggested by Fommers)

Any suggested tour companies to go to the Aialak Glacier for sea kayaking?

"note that "hike Exit Glacier" can really only be done with Exit Glacier Guides if you meant to actually get onto the glacier." Is that the same as just hiking to the side of the glacier? Can you actually get on top of the glacier and walk? If so, I like to do that.

I am thinking of the Major Marine tours - 7.5 hr one or the high speed 6 hour one.

Thanks for the tip on RV rental. I'll check out Great Alaska Holidays then. We got to get more concrete first on who is going, then we'll get a better idea of the likes/interest of the group.

Sounds like Denali will be well worth the trip. I may have some more questions later. ^