FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is a 'Do?' When does a 'Do' become a commercial venture?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:23 am
DeaconFlyer
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
At every single DO that someone flies to or buys dinner at, potentially yes, because some members will share some information in person with some people that they will not post online.

Though I had some concerns last year at the Chicago Seminar DO, that I might say something extemporaneously that I wouldn't ever post online, and so I preferred not to be recorded. With a post I get to write it out, re-read it, and even close out of the post if I think better of it. Speaking live I have no such opportunity.

But I don't think I said anything at that event that I haven't ever posted, or if I hadn't posted it up until that time that I didn't post subsequently.

Still, there is no way around it that flying to an event if you aren't local, joining in for a meal, and getting some face-to-face will often lead to more or different information sharing than will happen online. So will buying a beer (or three or six) grease the tongue and generate more information.

I don't think anyone is proposing a standard that everything that's said in person at a gathering must also be posted? That would have a pretty chilling effect on community, on sharing, and just cause events not to be posted here for fear of running afoul of rules when in fact people do want to share some thing in person that they won't share in writing.
So would I be allowed to walk into the conference room in Chicago if I hadn't paid my registration fee?

I'm guessing the answer is no, and that's the fundamental difference I see between these events and "traditional" DOs. Sure, previous events may have included meeting at a bar or a restaurant, but there was never an obligation to buy anything to receive the information that was exchanged.