Old Mar 17, 11, 7:08 pm
botham

Programs: BA Blue, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
LHR-DFW-IAH Part 4

Arrival at baggage reclaim presents a further problem, as our bags are still in London, so a nice lady called Ruth, gave us a voucher for a night in the DFW Hyatt, with food to the value of $140 and an ATM card with $300 for replacement clothing. Our AMEX travel insurance allows us a further £750 and we’re told that our bags will arrive in Dallas FW on BA193 5 March.

We took the shuttle to the Hyatt Regency DFW and had a very comfortable room, but it was now quite late and we were too tired to eat much. We went to bed at 22.00, only to awaken at 01.30 and couldn’t get back to sleep, as were so stressed.

Next morning we enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and then returned to DFW for our short but bumpy flight to IAH. This was only the second flight that the cabin crew had been told to stay seated, so no drinks.

Upon arrival at IAH, we took the shuttle to the rental car centre and they tried to rip us off as we needed what we thought was 1 extra day’s rental. I had notified NetFlights.com of our change of circumstances but they hadn’t amended our voucher, for which we had booked an economy car for 8 days. Initially they wanted a further $120 for 1 day, but we challenged them and only ended up paying an extra $40 for a full tank of petrol, so we have to return it empty or lose out!

We were offered a choice of two cars, either a Ford Focus or Mercury Grand Marquis (a luxury car – we took the Ford – no not really).

It was dirty and pretty scratched, so I marked numerous things on the report form. Next, we sought some replacement clothes and a suitcase, but the satnav tried to take us to Miami and we were getting thoroughly cheesed off, so we eventually stopped for coffee and cake at the Cheesecake Factory then bought a few things, but we just couldn’t be bothered.

Then we called Ruth at DFW, about our missing bags. They’d arrived from LHR and would arrive at IAH on a Continental flight and we could then collect them. We drove to Terminal B and the Continental staff had no knowledge of them and there was no reference on the system, showing them as having left DFW.

I threw my arms into the air in disgust and they told me not to get upset! We went to BA in Terminal D and they couldn’t find any reference to them, but they were very helpful and told us they would look after us for the return flight.

They told us there were to further flights arriving IAH that night so we went back to Term B and whooped with joy as our bags were sitting on their own in the middle of a near deserted terminal. Now anyone could have walked off with them – quite astonishing and the CO staff couldn’t care less!

We drove to our hotel completely exhausted, but happy we’d been re-united with all our possessions. We were staying at the Sheraton Houston North, which offered free parking or a free shuttle. We’d been upgraded to the Club Floor, with free soft drinks and continental breakfast.

We also had a ginormous bed!