Old Mar 17, 11, 7:01 pm
botham

Programs: BA Blue, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
LHR-DFW-IAH in F; IAH-LHR in CW + Carnival Conquest Cruise

Introduction

My lovely wife, Rosy, slipped on ice, pre-Christmas, and broke her left shoulder. She suffered a lot of pain and has been off sick from work since then. I decided that some hot sunshine would cheer her up and hopefully aid her recovery.

Therefore, we looked for a Caribbean cruise, at a good price, preferably departing Florida. There were several to choose from, but alas no Ďawardí flights available.

I had an American Express 2-4-1 voucher, which allowed me to use my BA miles to purchase two tickets for the price of one, on a return flight from the UK to any destination.

Iíd learnt from the FlyerTalk.com website that the most cost effective use of miles is to travel in either Club World or First class. I found good availability to Houston, Texas and found a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean from Galveston, Texas at an excellent price, utilising a $100 discount for the over 55ís. We also qualify for on board credit (OBC) through our Carnival share-holding and past guest status.

I used 25k more miles to upgrade the outbound flight as I hope the 747 will be fitted with new First, as most Houston flights currently have the latest cabin style. This is also a long daytime flight and so we can take advantage of the extensive wine list and personal service. For years we travelled in economy, where my 6í4Ē frame fits very snuggly, so itís a real treat to be at the other end of the plane.

Last weekend (two weeks from our cruise), Galveston was fogbound and all cruises were delayed. I havenít told Rosy this, as I donít want to worry her, so I hope all is well on March 6!