FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MP Award Redemptions, Effective 15 June 2011 (UA Insider comments post 61)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:48 pm
UA Insider
Company Representative, United Airlines

Mileage Plus and OnePass award chart changes – Eff. Jun. 15, 2011

Hi Everyone, looks like I got beat to the punch. I know many of you saw this coming, and here it is. As part of the United-Continental merger, we’re making some changes to the United Mileage Plus and Continental OnePass® award charts to make them consistent across both programs. These changes become effective June 15, 2011.

Here are the highlights of what will be changing:
  • Domestic award trips less than 700 miles each way will cost less. OnePass members have enjoyed this benefit, and now Mileage Plus members can, too. This means it’ll cost less miles for domestic award trips that are less than 700 miles each way. On the OnePass side, this will be an adjustment from the current 750 miles each way.

• One Way awards. A new benefit for OnePass members. This is something Mileage Plus members currently enjoy, and starting Jun. 15th OnePass members will too. Saver/SaverPass and Standard/EasyPass awards will be available one way on United, Continental and our partners for exactly half of the roundtrip amount. Enjoy!

• We’re aligning our geography. The region definitions for both programs were already similar, except in a handful of areas. In Latin America, for example, we’ll be adopting the more granular regional definition used by OnePass. In addition, we’ll no longer have countries that straddle multiple regions, such as Turkey, Egypt and the Micronesian network.

• Some travel award amounts are changing. While there are more increases than decreases, the balance isn’t too far off, considering the rate at which certain awards are redeemed. In most cases there are trade-offs. For example, the Saver Business Class amounts between the U.S. and Europe, Japan, North Asia, South Asia will decrease by 5K miles, while the Economy Class amounts between the U.S. and Europe, Southern South America will increase by 5K miles.

• Some Mileage Plus Upgrade Award and Star Alliance™ Upgrade Award requirements will also change. There are a fair amount of changes here. Some mileage amounts will increase, as will many copays. On the bright side, Elite members will remain exempt from copays on most domestic mileage upgrade awards. Put another way: if you’re an elite member, and the itinerary is eligible for a complimentary Elite upgrade, then the copay doesn’t apply.
How do the updates affect my travel? The price of your award will be based on the award chart that’s in effect on the date you redeem your award, regardless of the date of travel. For awards redeemed prior to Jun. 15th, the current award requirements will apply. For redemptions on or after Jun. 15th, the new award requirements will apply.

For more details including links to the charts themselves, see our Mileage Plus and OnePass landing pages on the topic.

I’m sure there are plenty of questions to follow, and will do my best to stay on top of them. Fire away…

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines

Last edited by UA Insider; Mar 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm Reason: added continental.com link