FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Day 1 as a lead FA
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:51 pm
colpuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Day 1 as a lead FA

I was working EWR-SXM. SXM is generally one of my favorite destinations. The people on the plane are generally nice, going to have good time, and of course escape the winter weather that plagues this area.

After the pre-boarding meeting with the other stews, we signaled the GA that we were ready to begin boarding. During the pre-departure I generally stand at the head of the plane and greet our customers as they come in. This allows me to get a sense of the passengers and address any boarding issues, luggage, wheelchairs, ect. There weren't any luggage issues as this was a warm-weather flight and I didn't notice any boarding issues save one.

Mid-way through boarding I heard the chime and noticed that passenger about mid-cabin had activated his service light. The other FA was serving drinks and the two in Y were in the back galley making sure the flight was properly loaded. I went down there to investigate.

Apparently the passenger in the aisle seat had reclined his seat into the passenger behind him. Personally I could careless about such issues until the door is closed. (Did I mention I am not getting paid at this moment in time. I don't get paid until the door closes.). The passengers were getting into a heating argument over this issue. I couldn't make heads or tails of the situation. Then the passenger in the forward seat cursed. I don't know if he was drunk, high or both. All I know was I had a disturbance and passengers respective wives look mortified. The the passenger decided to get short with me.

Now I have to be able to give directions and not be contradicted. This means when I give direction people either comply or they are removed. This person, the one who cursed, was given the choice; calm down or be removed.

Thankfully, he calmed down. Removing people makes the plane late.

I really don't get paid enough for this.