FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines reimbursement policy! A horror example
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:55 pm
frpe3324

Wow!

I never thought I would get replies that fast.

Let me clear this out. I did not feel the need to be that specific in my initial thread, but since I got replies I will try to be more specific.
Stockholm to Chicago was flewn by SAS, that is correct. The bag was cleared through customs in Chicago, dropped for LA where all other bags are dropped. The flight from Chicago to LA on which the bag was lost, was flewn by UA. UA wanted me first to talk to SAS, which I did, they however have no responsibilities in this since it was not lost during a SAS-flight. This is completely understandable.

I have insurance for the gear if it was gonna be lost completely, however, the insurance doesnīt cover more than 3 days delay of the luggage (independent of the value), that gives me in this case a total of 250 USD. However, my bag was lost for a total of 2 weeks! Luckily the climbing gear was not gonna be used till I came back to LA from my trip to Centralamerica. Therefore, what I needed to buy in Centralamerica were the essentials for 2 weeks, contacts, a bag (since I obviously did not have one) etc etc. Luckily the gear turned up at the right point of my trip. I could never have bought all that equipment if it had been lost at the worst possible time. If I had needed the equipment I would had to cancel my travel plans in the US.

Understand me correctly here, I am superhappy that my bag arrived. However, that is part of the deal when flying (it not a bonus), they get your bag to the final destination. If not, you need compensation for that from the airline. I have not gotten anything whatsoever. As I wrote, not even an apology.

Thank you for your comments. Would you by any chance know how I can find that thread about the German-based UA flyer? Maybe that could help me.
El Cochinito - I feel no need to comment your sarcastic comment. Nice name though, couldnīt have thought of a better myself.

Maybe I should do as Dave Carroll, write a song about it and post it on you-tube.

Thanks again
/Frida